Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Today's NUS

Wow, whadda day!  Our politicians all had a kumbuya moment and got something accomplished. I should really say whadda week! In the past five trading days I am up 4.5%, and am now just an eyelash away from 33% for the year.

One stock of note (thus the headline pun) was NUS. It was up 3.53%, which in dollars equates to $3.51. It does not take a mathematician (wish we had one around here), to know that when the percent change virtually equals the dollar change that the stock must be close to $100. And so it is with NUS. It started the day at $99.57 and ended at $103.08. I do recall saying after their blowout earnings August when they were trading in the eighties that I felt they would reach the century mark. That means they are up 148% for me since my purchase in February!

Genworth also made a nice 3.6% move today. It has re passed GTAT as my largest single holding ( despite selling 30% of my shares in May at 10.86 (I should have held on)!

I did sell my CDE that I bought on Monday for a quick 4.8% gain. I just am as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs with precious metal stocks of late.

So I am 20% in cash. While I like my stocks, I am not in a rush to buy or sell anything in the short term. I will likely change very little between now and my next MFI tranche in mid November.  My recent spate of buying last week and early this week (CSQ, AOD, IP, RIG, SFXE, HIG-WT, TC-PT, ABR and CDE) have worked out very well, up in aggregate about 4.5%.  I still think some stocks are reasonably priced, including a number of the ones I just bought. But I also think that discipline in investing is important and I want to maintain a certain cash balance. That being said, I expect to get some more investable funds in November. I will likely put some of that to work. I do not have a plan yet, but it may begin to ratchet up my MFI tranches as they come up.  I think I will continue to show them as I have been showing them, just for simplicity of tracking and consistency.  But MFI will start showing up as a greater percentage of my overall portfolio (right now it is 23%, which is a shame as it is now up over 40% on the year).

No comments: