Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Get Your Earnings Here

Earnings continue to pour in.  I have to say that overall they do not seem that hot.

GNW - A bit disappointing as they actually lost a bit of money in the US Mortgage Segment (Genworth Financial Announces Third Quarter 2013 Results).  Their book value is around $29.50.  Using a quick back of the envelope, if interest rates go up over the next couple of years by 200 basis points, that will drop into the $23 range.  Theoretically, their earnings should improve as new money will be invested at higher rates.  So I still see GNW over time moving towards $20 a share over time.

RPXC - I think their earnings were actually pretty decent (RPX Announces Third Quarter 2013 Financial Results).  I think the key to their beat is they are forecasting revenues up 6 or 7% next quarter over this quarter.

WU - At first I thought this was good, but now not so good (Western Union Reports Third Quarter Results).  They dropped over 10% after hours as they commented on need for higher investment in 2014 for compliance issues.  I will tell you, this is a theme across many industries.  It is a shame for my MFI portfolio as WU is scheduled to roll off in 2+ weeks.

Report Card

So if I think about a report card for my stocks reporting earnings thus far:

  1. AAPL: B
  2. AWRE: C
  3. BAC-WTA: C
  4. CA: A
  5. CYOU: F
  6. GNW: D
  7. HIG-WT: B
  8. LPS: B
  9. NUS: A
  10. RDA: C
  11. RPXC: A
  12. WU: D

No comments: