Tuesday, October 01, 2013

SAI What?

As my faithful readers know, I track a lot of MFI stocks. Both through monthly tracking portfolios and via my MFI Index. I was paging through some of my data today and saw that SAI was no longer a valid symbol.  So here is the scoop of what happened:

For every share you had of SAI,  you got one share of SAIC.  But then there was an immediate reverse 7 for 1 split.  Also for every four shares of SAI you had, you get one share of LDOS.  So the basic math per my abacus is this:

Final SAI price: 16.03.

Current SAIC quote: 32.10
Current LDOS quotes: 47.12

Calculated SAI quote: 32.10/7 + 47.12/4 = 16.36.
So LDOS is the much larger component of the old SAI, about 72%. Thinking back to JGs book, You Can be a Stock Market Genius, I would think the SAIC would be the one to sell off and perhaps be an attractive buy a month from now. It bears watching.

You Are Not Going To Believe This...

I was looking at the MFI Index today.  It was up 1.54% versus 77 basis points for the R3K. That means (drum roll) that the MFI index has now moved back ahead of the Russell 3000 on an inception to date basis going back to 2006. 63.0% versus 61.5%. It isn't even close!!!!  Okay, it is close, I was just getting excitable there.

Closed End Funds

As my readers know, I do like to buy closed end funds on occasion. I find these better than mutual funds or ETFs as you can actually buy them at a discount to NAV. I own two right now, CSQ and AOD. I was looking at CSQ at it is a discount of 11.8%. That is the highest discount of the year versus a "normal" discount of around 6%. I am placing them on my radar screen.  If there is a pullback from all this political chicanery, and if the discount holds, I will look to increase my holdings by about 1/3rd.

I also did put in an order for TGONF today at $10.00. It did not get filled, but will carry over until tomorrow.

My overall portfolio today ran exactly even with the index.

WTF?

Sometimes I am just stunned by headlines and the attempts of the media to explain things. I was looking at ACAS, which has really done nicely for me of late and is up about ten percent.  As you may recall, I have argued they are like buying a dollar for seventy cents as their NAV is north of $19 and they trade under $14.  They are actively buying back their own stock as it is an automatic profitable investment... Shrinking their way to greatness. So zacks, in my mind one of the worst firms for writing stock articles! said that "ACAS Gains on Share Buybacks". Well ACAS has said they have been doing this for over a year, so why is it suddenl


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marsh, Thanks for the SAI/SAIC/LDOS explanation! I have been on the phone with broker and didn't get anywhere near the clarity you presented. Now, the problem is going to be with the SAI call for May,14 at 16.00. How in the world is that going to be handled?
Cheers, Karl