Monday, October 28, 2013

Full Swing On Earnings Season

At least three of my stocks reported this evening: AAPL, AWRE and HIG. I also had CYOU this morning and I know for sue GNW is tomorrow (I think after the bell).

AAPL looked solid to me.  Just 37.5 billion in revenues. But it looks like their forecast/guidance is underwhelming, so the stock is trading down 2% this afternoon. They have their work cut out for them in Cupertino. Expectations are so high and new product cycles are speeding up all the time. I will likely take some apple off the table in mid November.

AWRE is my newest stock. I bought it pre earnings as I didn't want it to run away from me. It appears that should not have been a real concern.  They had a one time 2.8 million charge for getting out of DSL business.  So the numbers do not look so hot on absolute basis.  But they are a 149 million company, with over $75 million in the bank and decent growth prospects. I also think they will be turning a profit with the exiting of DSL.

HIG seems to have had a solid quarter.  They are up 1.5% after hours. I always maintain that book value is a key metric with insurers. They grew book value to 38.87 from 38.59.  Not earth shattering, but for a company with a stock price under $34, they could look pretty good if they can get to 110% of book value.  Recall that I actually own the warrants, which have (as of right now) a strike price of $9.19.  I have until June 2019. Frankly I just need 10% appreciation a year and that will translate to about 15% a year for me.

No comments: