Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Dinner With Portfolios With A Purpose

Pretty cool.  As I mentioned a couple of times on this blog, I am participating in Portfolios With A Purpose, which raises funds for charities (mine is the JDRF).

While it is early, my portfolio of five stocks is doing pretty well.  I am up 9.01% and in 45th place out of the 561 participants in my class. Wish my overall portfolio was doing that well!

Anyway, as a participant, I got an invite this evening to the awards night dinner, recognizing the 2013 winners. It is March 10th at the Museum of the City of New York, and as you can see (if you look closely) some big name investors will be there along with Scott Wapner.

I bought a ticket, hopefully I can zip over to the city that day.  It would be kind of cool.  If I go, I will give my 30 readers a play by play.

Now selling the 1/3 GTAT position yesterday looks clever. I suspect that will flip back and forth.  The rumor now is that the Mesa factory will not be used this year for the iphone as the sapphire is too expensive.  That strikes me as a stretch.  I do not think they would have invested 100s of millions in the factory and equipment if the final product was going to be too expensive for the iphone.  They had to know the cost going in.

Even with GTAT selling off, I had a very solid day, up 61 basis points. SBS was up almost 11%, so that helped. RPXC reported earnings after the bell (RPX Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2013 Financial Results). I thought they were so-so and thought their guidance (essentially same eps as 2013) was uninspiring.  Not looking like a great pick for my February 2014 tranche.

No comments: