Friday, February 07, 2014

Best day Since October 15th 2012

Best Day

I had my best day in 480 days today. With my multiplier, I was up $55,700, which works out to 2.65%.  I was actually surprised that it was my best day in so long. Of course most "best days" are often proceeded by a few really crappy days. And that was the case here, Monday was my worst day in over 8 months.  And if you skip back to that great day where I made $56,000 in October of 2012, you would find that I lost $58,000 just 13 days earlier. The point of all of this is not to get too excited, either when you have a great day or a miserable day. The market has an amazing knack of often balancing those things out. You certainly do not want to get the bad one and then fail to get the full benefit of the good one. That is why when I go to increased cash, it is always more at the margin. When I am bullish, I might be 15 to 20% cash. When I am bearish, 25 to 30% cash. I want to be more invested than not as over time the market goes up. If I needed the money in 12 or 18 months, I would have a different view. But I live off my salary, my investments are for down the road five, ten, fifteen years.  When you have a longer time horizon, it enables you to filter out some of the noise.

Pretty funny, today, even stocks that I had recently thought about buying were up nicely. The best example is GPS. When I was buying my February 1st tranche last Friday, I had actually typed GPS in my initial buy. But then I reversed them out as I remembered that I had ally wanted to buy KLAC. So GPS was really my #6 pick as I felt they were the best of the retail world.  They are up about 11% since then (KLAC is up 1.3%).

So finally, to commemorate my best day in the past 480, I will share this video:




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats Marshall!!! It is also one of my best days as GTAT and ATVI are up nicely. Thank you for the great picks. What were you purchases for the Feb tranche?