Saturday, November 16, 2013

Weekend Update + A Christmas Story

Weekend Update

Well, I am taking the "fam" today to see "A Christmas Story - The Musical".  The chiperoos are actually really excited.  I am not sure what to expect, the movie is such a cult classic.  I am from Indiana and I consider a Christmas Story as part of the Grand Slam of great movies based in my home state.
  1. A Christmas Story
  2. Breaking Away
  3. Rudy
  4. Hoosiers

They are all actually very good movies.

It was actually a great week for me (despite the CSCO implosion) and I was up a snappy 2.1%. That makes me up 38% on the year and at the high water mark thus far.

Dividend Portfolio

As you know, this has been the slacker portfolio all year.  That has not changed with CSCO's belly-flop.  It is a testament to the other two portfolios that I am outperforming overall.  I did make one move that looks smart this week in that I increased my stake in BBEP during their secondary.


Stock Shares Avg Cost Current Price Dividends Received Pct Change R3K Change Diff
ABR       12,000            6.72             6.85                     -   1.9% 4.7% -2.8%
AOD       21,068            3.96             4.16        3,519.27 9.2% 16.7% -7.5%
BBEP         4,675          16.13           19.09        3,422.22 22.9% 8.0% 14.9%
CSCO         4,389          17.34           21.54        4,219.92 29.7% 35.5% -5.8%
CSQ         6,587            8.57           10.69        9,602.93 41.8% 46.3% -4.5%
INTC         3,718          22.24           24.52        4,490.84 15.7% 29.8% -14.1%
IP         1,172          46.55           45.53            410.20 -1.4% 6.2% -7.7%
O             577          20.20           40.82        8,491.76 174.9% 106.2% 68.7%
OIBAX         4,070            4.98             6.09        7,670.03 60.1% 109.7% -49.6%
SBS         6,211            9.54           11.25                     -   17.9% 6.6% 11.3%
TC-PT         4,000          15.39           15.99        4,061.80 10.5% 13.8% -3.3%
TCRD         4,200          14.73           16.33        1,764.00 13.7% 11.0% 2.8%
TGONF         7,000          10.27             9.59            337.50 -6.2% 9.7% -15.9%
           
           
           
           
           
           
           
Total Open            47,990 17.4% 20.8% -3.4%
Closed 13.1% 10.2% 2.9%
Combined 13.9% 12.2% 1.7%
Annualized IRR Since 12/31/10 17.7%
2013 Gain 17.3%


MFI Portfolio

Yesterday, I highlighted the changes I have made here.  This leg of my stool continues to shock and awe. It is now up 44% on the year.  I did increase (by a marginal amount) my $ per stock in the recent tranche.  I will likely accelerate that in 2014 and make MFI a larger proportion of my overall investment portfolio.


2/1/13 Stocks Start Current Dividend Pct Gain R3K Gain
AAPL $450.60 $524.99 $8.75 18.5% 21.3%
GA $6.10 $9.16 $0.42 57.1% 21.3%
STRZA $16.06 $29.10 $0.00 81.2% 21.3%
CA $25.07 $32.85 $0.75 34.0% 21.3%
NUS $41.94 $114.09 $0.90 174.2% 21.3%
Totals 73.0% 21.3%
5/6/2013 Start Current Dividend Pct Gain R3K Gain
KLIC $11.40 $12.55 $0.00 10.1% 13.2%
CYOU $29.24 $29.22 $0.00 -0.1% 13.2%
RDA $9.74 $17.99 $0.10 85.8% 13.2%
NVDA $13.85 $16.17 $0.15 17.8% 13.2%
CF $183.97 $218.90 $1.80 20.0% 13.2%
Totals 26.7% 13.2%
8/15/2013 Start Current Dividend Pct Gain R3K Gain
CF $187.26 $218.90 $1.00 17.4% 9.0%
FLR $66.06 $79.36 $0.16 20.4% 9.0%
AGX $15.60 $22.87 $0.75 51.4% 9.0%
KLIC $11.29 $12.55 $0.00 11.2% 9.0%
RPXC $15.92 $17.06 $0.00 7.2% 9.0%
Totals 21.5% 9.0%
11/15/13 Stocks Start Current Dividend Pct Gain R3K Gain
AVG $17.22 $17.40            -   1.0% 0.1%
ATVI $17.71 $17.72            -   0.1% 0.1%
GA $9.04 $9.16            -   1.4% 0.1%
RPXC $17.04 $17.06            -   0.1% 0.1%
SYNA $48.01 $48.07            -   0.1% 0.1%
Totals 0.5% 0.1%
Category/Tranche August November February May Total
Initial Investment   25,000       25,000     25,000      25,000    100,000
Current Tranche 21.5% 0.5% 73.0% 26.7% 30.1%
Previous Tranche 14.1% 43.7% 0.0% 0.0% 12.0%
MFI Overall Gain 38.6% 44.5% 73.0% 26.7% 45.7%
Current Balance   34,647       36,130     43,247      31,682    145,706
R3K Current Tranche 9.0% 36.7% 21.3% 13.2% 20.0%
R3K Overall Gain 33.1% 36.7% 21.3% 13.2% 26.1%
R3K Balance   33,275       34,170     30,317      28,296    126,058
Annualized IRR 29.7% 44.3% 100.2% 56.1% 78.8%


Discretionary Portfolio

As you know, I do not keep the highly detailed stats on this portfolio as it is more free form.  But trust me, it has done very very well. I guess one way to think about it is pure dollar gain.  Using my factor, here is my dollar gain in 2013 by portfolio:
  1. Dividend: $171,320
  2. MFI: $179,328
  3. Discretionary: $181,564
So very good gain, but it is my smallest portfolio:


Portfolio Proportion
Dividend 32.3%
Mfi 21.2%
Discretionary 18.4%
Cash 28.2%


Obviously GNW and GTAT have been the drivers of the success.  My HIG warrants have also been picking up of late.


Stock Gain Cost Price
GTAT 200.6%           3.39         10.19
GNW 104.7%           7.10         14.54
HIMX 2.9%           8.94           9.20
HIG-WT 25.4%         21.24         26.64
KLIC 12.6%         11.15         12.55
BAC-WTA 17.4%           5.35           6.28
CS 0.1%         28.82         28.86
Grand Total 57.3%

No comments: