Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Good Day Bad Night?

I had another stellar day today.  My overall portfolio zoomed up about 1.4% as really everything worked.  I did sell my CALL at 12.95, which gave me a slight profit.  Then I took half of that sale amount and bought BBEP, which was down about 5%. So I am now sitting on pushing 28% cash.

So I am, as of this moment, at my high point for the year.  I am up over 38%.  I will say that is beyond my wildest expectations.  Frankly (as you can tell from some of my transactions) I am getting to the point where I am not trying to make more, but rather keep what I have.

On Friday I will be buying my new MFI stocks.  A couple of the ones I have on my very short list have popped a bit the last couple days (GA and SYNA).  Technically, I will buy the five new positions around noon on Friday.  I will sell the old positions on Monday (but I will mark in my tables the prices at the time I buy the new stocks) as my gains are so good (up about 44%) that I want to be absolutely sure I am getting the LT CG tax rate.

Then the bad night is CSCO.  Last time I looked they were down 10% after hours.  I have not really gone through everything to see the issues, but I am sure it is lowered revenues expectations going forward.  That being said, CSCO is a very stable, mature company with a great future cash flow.  To say it is suddenly worth 10% less would suggest the future cash flow for the next 5 to 10 years has been changed materially.  So for a company like CSCO, I suspect the market is over reacting to a short term cash flow reduction as opposed to focusing on the longer term.  I will likely now almost certainly add them to MFI on Friday.  In a funny way, I am actually a bit happy even if it makes my portfolio performance sub par tomorrow (and it will as CSCO is my 3rd largest holding).


No comments: