Thursday, November 21, 2013

Second Best Day of Quarter - So Far

I had a very solid day, up about 1.4%. I had had three mediocre days to start the week, so I am still a little below water on the week, but certainly a chance to end it a winner.

GTAT was up 5%. This is a stock that is swing 3 to 5% every day. It is not my approach to try and play that, but I note the channel seems to be there.

SYNA, one of my newest stocks, was up 4.5%. NUS was up 3.8% on upbeat 2014 guidance. GNW was up 2.4%, which always helps as it is my #2 position.

SBS was my big loser, down 3.4%.

INTC has been a slow and steady mover this quarter. I just noticed they are up 11% since September 30th!

TCPT is a stock that has been on my mind a lot of late. I was very timely to sell 40% of my position (2,500 shares with my factor) at 19.25 back in September. But I bought back 1,000 at 16.60 in October and it has been trickling down. I am a bit mad at myself as my thesis I stated back in August was that growth stocks were the place to be and to avoid material stocks. It was a good call and I did sell a bunch of positions, but then I had a moment of reversal and bought some back.

I have had no transactions this week post the MFI shift on November 15th. I keep thinking about selling SBS as it will likely fall when taper talk becomes reality. But they had good earnings recently and are cheap by most metrics.  So I will likely ride out any drops and view them as buying opportunities.

Speaking of opportunities, I have never really done much as far as arbitrage, but I am keeping an eye on RDA for opportunities.  It is trading about 4% below the offer price of 18.50 with the transaction to close in first Hal of 2014.  With what I view as limited great investment ideas right now, it might not be so bad to park a decent amount of money in RDA and make 5% in half a year.  Of course there is always the risk that the transaction falls through.  But there were a couple of interested parties.

No comments: