Thursday, May 30, 2013

MFI and Dividend Portfolio Blend

As my readers know, I have long been a proponent of picking MFI stocks with a dividend yield over 2.6%. This has been a highly successful approach going back to 2006. But as my readers also know, I have lacked the conviction to actually do it. I have dabbled. I have picked stocks from the list for my dividend portfolio. But I have not shown conviction.

I am thinking about changing that. My idea is that the next tracking portfolio I create (end of June), I will actually buy the "dividend" socks within that list in bulk. So that could be twenty stocks. I would  then track that purchase as part of mt dividend portfolio. But instead of listing each stock separately, it would be a portfolio entry. I would just give it an index type price, say 1,000 shares at $100 apiece. And it would just stay within my dividend portfolio as "MFI/dividend".  Then every year I would sell all the stocks it that grouping and buy a new batch based on MFI rules.  So I would track it under my dividend portfolio, rather than MFI.

Just a thought. Time to have a little more conviction about an idea I have pioneered, but never followed through upon.

Then just a quick midday update. MFI continues to motor very well for me. My four open tranches are up an average of almost 19% and they are beating the R3K on average by 4.3%.  That is quite solid.

No comments: