Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Homograph List - Updated

Pretty funny.  I went back to look at every post (over 1,500) I have made and then looked at the most visited ones.  #3 was my Homograph List.  Nothing to do with investing.  Who knew?  So I have decided to update it as I have 7 new ones.

One fun game I play with my kids is that we try to think of words that are homographs. That is a word that when it pronounced one way it means one thing and when pronounced another way, it means something different. A couple of quick examples:

lead - if the vowels are long in means to show the way by going in advance. If the vowels is a short e, ten it is a metallic element (and in this case a second meaning, being the past tense of the long lead.

polish - to make something shine (short o) or a person from Poland (long o).

Here is a list we have created (I'd be interested in additional ones my readers can think of):

 
Word
abuse
alternate
appropriate
bass
bow
buffet
compress
console
content
contest
convert
convict
direct
does
dove
drawer
duplicate
entrance
excuse
expose
graduate
intimate
lead
learned
lives
minute
moped
number
offense
perfect
permit
polish
present
produce
progress
project
putting
read
rebel
record
refuse
resent
resume
row
separate
sewer
shower
sow
subject
tear
tearing
use
wind
wound

No comments: