Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Kind of a Weird Day

Sometimes one can get a little myopic and just focus on specific stocks as opposed to thinking about the entire portfolio. Of course, at the end of the day, it is the entire portfolio that counts.  So today seemed pretty p#ss poor as I saw that recent buys ATHM and TC were down 3% and 11% (people are really panicking about TC, though I have said many times that it is okay to panic, just so you do it before everyone else).  And of course the crash in TC took down TCPT as well as they generally move lockstep.

But, funny thing. It was not that bad of a day. Overall I was down a mere 8 basis points, and the broader market was down 32 basis points.  It helped that GTAT and HIMX were up nicely.

No transactions again for me today. I am pretty happy with where my portfolio is right now. I do have a few plays that I would call speculative, but I feel I am keeping things generally in balance.  The MFI component of my portfolio also continues to carry a lot of water. At the start of December, it was beating the R3K index by 23.7 points. Amazingly, that lead has now been stretched to 26.1 points.  Not sue if I have the secret sauce or have just had some good fortune, but it has been a nice run.

In fact, as I think about it, my February tranche only has about 30 trading days left. Maybe a bit early to start thinking about the five new stocks. One that has me thinking of late is SNDK.  Then there is potential for a couple repeats from in-force tranches, such as CSCO, AVG, ATVI and RPXC. If I liked them a month ago, I probably like them now.

Ok, I need to stop now. I have been avoiding it but I need to hit the road.

No comments: