Monday, December 09, 2013

Guest Post From Karl

A frequent reader of this blog has asked that I post his MFI strategy.  It is a  derivative of one I have mentioned a couple times on here, using options as opposed to buying the stock directly.  Clearly, when the market is going up, this will be a superior approach.  However, it should have greater volatility.  As he buys positions that are deep in the money, the risk of a position going to zero in minimized.  One issue I have seen with an approach like this is many options are pretty ill-liquid.  (I have tried to embed a link to his PDF at the bottom). Here is his post:

Marsh,
I decided to try a MFI portfolio utilizing LEAP options instead of buying the underlying securities.  LEAPS (Long-term Equity AnticiPation) are regular options in all respects except that they are available for a year or more out. Most options are for 3, 6, and 9 months. There are about 2500 LEAP options available.  From my MFI list of 30 stocks (>$500 million) I found 17 that have LEAPs. On October 28, 2013 I bought deep in the money calls on these stocks.  You want in the money calls to preserve capital and assure a relatively high delta (a $1.00 change in stock price giving a $0.80 change in option price, or better).  As you can see, I bought January 17, 2015 options (\15A17\) and tried to get about $2000 to $3000 in contracts. Each call, as usual, represents 100 share except for Apple which has a 10 share lot available for smaller investors like me. Google and a few other high price stocks have this 10 share version available.  An example from the top table for Coach (COH) shows that I bought 2 calls (200 share) for $11.30 and an entry cost of $2,260. The call I bought is at a strike price of $40 and is 80.2% of the stock quote on that day $49.89.  On Dec 15 these calls were priced at $17.10 for a profit of $1,160 (+51.33%). You can also see that the underlying stock has gone from $49.89 to $55.72 in the lower table.  I must have had a senior moment when I bought the PBI call, since I only bought one call and should have bought about 4 at $5.39. Oh well.
            The important thing is that the LEAPS have a 17% gain (+$6,930) while the underlying securities have increased 4.72%. I have not shown it in these tables, but in order to have made the same profit using stocks in the same proportions one would have to have invested $130,928 instead of the $42,278 in the call options. Another consideration is that the calls become worthless if the stock price declines to the strike price, i.e. about a 20% decline. I think I am secure against that and would rather lose 10% on the options than 10% of $130,000.  Remember these are standard calls, we are not writing (selling) these options against existing positions (covered calls) like the strategy of Trader et al.
            It looks like this is an interesting strategy that so far is working. I plan to continue to follow it for the year.  I would like your opinion and those of the folks on you blog. Please let me know if you have any questions.
            Cheers, Karl
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3E8wzubbADcOTBFdl84UzN4dzA/edit?usp=sharing

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Marsh, Thanks for posting my note. I did copy and paste the link into my browser and the pdf file that shows the details came right up. I hope many of your readers will study this and let me know their ideas.
Karl N

Paul T said...

My only real problem with this is:
- When MFI is up, you make a killing
- When MFI is down, you'll likely get killed.

I really don't have the temperament to commit such leverage to my portfolio. It's bad enough just buying the underlying securities let alone the options. :)

Unknown said...

Paul, thanks for the note. I don't think that the risks have really changed that much. Maybe you can poke a hole in the following line of thought? I really did buy a LEAP today. It was a LO call, strike $40, expires Jan, 2015 and I paid 11.50. LO was quoted at $50.86 when I bought it. The 'time premium' I paid was 11.50-(50.86-40) or 0.64, which is pretty cheap I think. In the next note I will compare my performance with an investment of $1,150 versus yours of 100 shares bought at 50.86 ($50,860). More in a little bit....

Unknown said...

I'm back. Did some calcs for different scenarios in Dec, 2014. At that time the time premium has essentially gone to zero so the option price is about the difference between the strike and quote prices. Here is a little table...
Mrkt Stock Option MyLoss YourLoss
-30%__35.60__0.00__-1150__-1526
-20%__40.69__0.69__-1081__-1017
-10%__45.77__5.77__-573___-509
0.0%__50.86__10.86__-64___0.00
+10%__55.95__15.95__+445__+509
+20%__61.03__21.03__+953__+1017
+30%__66.12__26.12__+1462__+1526
Your thoughts/questions?

Paul T said...

I guess my main argument against LEAPS is that the MFI is streaky. It (as proven by Marsh) has had LONG periods of under performance.

If you have a long enough bad streak, you'll lose money in stocks. But unlikely that you'll go to $0 and you can make it back by sticking with MFI.

You have a really bad streak with LEAPS, (and if you're all in), you could get completely wiped out. Years of gains could be washed away in one sitting (assuming you are reinvesting all the proceeds from previous years).

Sure, I'd take a LEAP once in a while (and have, but unfortunately haven't made much money on them). But for a large portion of my portfolio, it's more risk than I'm willing to take.

Paul T said...

One other point. The only way to compare returns is if you invest the same $ amount in options vs the underlying stock. There is a limited amount of capital that you can deploy to invest. That capital can be used to buy stocks, stocks on margin or options. Each with it's underlying leverage.

Only with equal dollar amounts can you truly determine the rates of return and risk. As I said in my previous comment, one bad run with options can wipe you out. Less likely to happen with stocks which you could recover from. You can't recover from a $0 balance when your option expires worthless.

Unknown said...

Paul, Thanks again for the feedback. Exactly what I was hoping for. I agree that I am comparing apples to oranges if I don't invest equal amounts. The only caveat is that I usually have lots of stocks in the $2500-$5000 range. So the investment in LEAPs is pretty comparable. It will be interesting to see how my "list", already given to Marsh, ends up the year. Thanks again, Karl

Paul T said...

I certainly wish you well. And hope you make out like a bandit :)

Paul T said...

Karl,

Just curious on how your LEAPS strategy is working out. It's been a pretty decent year in the market, so I'm guessing you're in the black on quite a few of those.

Unknown said...

Paul,
Sorry I was delayed in getting back to you. The MFI/LEAPS portfolio is currently at +53.2%, with only 2 losing positions (RGR and CA).
Now I do have a confession, since I know you can keep a secret. I really did buy these options but over the first few months my nerves failed me and I sold various of the positions. I am now completely out of the LEAPS and my final position is +7.4%. Not bad, but in perfect hindsight oh well...
Regards, Karl

Paul T said...

Karl,

I can't blame you one bit for getting out of the options game. Still, 7.4% in a few months is a pretty decent return.

Thanks for the follow-up