Friday, September 20, 2013

Answering My Question

What Should We Do?

Last night I posed the question on what I should do with cash going forward.  Obviously one part of answer is to always have a decent sized chunk of cash for unexpected opportunities. But for the bigger part of my question, I think I will re-visit an idea I had a few months ago: a mash-up of dividend/mfi.  I have stated many times that dividend paying MFI stocks have done very well.  So my idea is to start a tranche of dividend/MFI stocks.  I will track them in aggregate in my dividend portfolio.  The intent will be to hold at least a year and to buy and sell them as a portfolio.

I did play around with a first cut: PBI, RFIL, NOC, INTX, PETS and EBIX.  That would yield about 4.3%. I am just screwing around a bit with the idea.  My intent would be to wait for a material pullback.  The cash is not burning a hole in my pocket, so I want to be opportunistic about my entry point.

MFI Tracking Look Ahead

I have mentioned several times recently how well my MFI portfolios are doing.  I thought it might be fun to take a sneak-peek at the September 28th 2012 MFI tracking portfolio.  It is a breakaway!  That portfolio is up 39% versus about 24% for the R3K.  So all of us MFI investors do have a nice tailwind right now.  I do not think it is about stock picking.

Otherwise, Happy Friday everyone.  I am in Pennsylvania today, but head back home this evening.

No comments: