Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Up HILL Struggle

Well, I mentioned last week that I sold HILL, which was one stock in my portfolio that really did not fit. It is a micro cap (under 200 million market cap). I bought them when I was evaluating potential Russell 3000 adds and I thought they were the most interesting of the lot. I bought at 2.07 and then sold at 2.16 as "interesting" is not enough of a reason to hold a stock.

Yesterday they spiked to 2.46! 14% higher than when I sold a week ago. Not sure why they went up, but it was 4x normal volume. I will continue to watch just from general interest.

Not much else new. I sold my PGR yesterday for a decent gain (34% from initial purchase a year ago). But overall my portfolio is lagging a bit. I am up 6% since June 24th, but I am trailing the r3k by 238 basis points for the year as some of my dividend plays and metal plays continue to under perform in tapering era. Still, am up 14% on the year, so no sense in too much hand wringing.

No comments: