Thursday, July 11, 2013

I've Got You Under My (Nu) Skin

Wow, blow out day for my portfolio yesterday.  Obviously having NUS sky-rocketing 19% was key.

My MFI portfolio was up a notch over 2 percent on a flattish day.  It is now beating the Russell 2000 overall by 6 points, which is music to my ears.  One more good day for my entire portfolio and I have a chance to re-take the lead in my race with the Russell 3000.  My BBEP buys have really help.  It was a sizable purchase and they are up about 15% since I bought last Friday.

Today looks pretty promising overall as futures (and gold) are way up based on Bernanke's comments last night.  Hopefully some of the stocks that have really struggled for me (NSU,TC-PT, CIM, FCX, STO, O and RIG) will get a decent bounce.  Of course I did add to several of these positions on the way down, but frankly more on the margins.  I may do some buying at the open today. I really talked myself into why NSU is a terrific bargain yesterday... too bad I didn't pull the trigger then.

I do not know why I just figured it out, but the pop in NUS yesterday was also a classic short squeeze.  Looking at yahoo finance, it said 7.2% of shares were shorted = 3.6m shares, which would typically take 6 days of average volume.  I think they all bolted for the doors yesterday.  May see a few other short squeezes today (I see NUGT is up 11% in pre market trading).

No comments: