Tuesday, July 23, 2013

AAPL and UIS Part II

Pretty funny.  Almost exactly 3 months ago I wrote this blog (MFI DiaryAAPL and UIS).  I was pretty strong in my criticism of UIS.  Here is what I wrote:

UIS was a mess. This is one crazy stock, and after I have owned for my promised year I will never own again. Their earning are extremely volatile and their balance sheet is a mess. I do not even think they would be solvent if they shut their doors today. I am not sure what possessed me to buy them Argh!  They lost seventy seven cents on the quarter and skimming through the release, I did not see any thing resembling positive. This was the stock that spurted on last quarter's earnings from 17 to 24. It looks like they are about to make that a round trip.

Guess what?  They have made that round trip again, but this time in a positive way.  The stock went from $20.47 to 16.57 last quarter at earnings. As you can see, I felt like selling, but did not as I was "following the rules" of holding for a year.  Now they made 99 cents per share, beating estimates by 22 cents. They are trading up about 9% after the bell, over $27!  That is right, from $16.57 to $27 in a quarter!  That is over 60%!  I may recant my view "never to own again".  I will likely sell in August, right now up a snappy 35%.  If I see them in some quarter down the road sold off, back under $20, I might (just might) re-buy.

For AAPL, expectations were very low and they delivered a solid beat.  Up $16, or about 4% after the bell.  Should be a very good day for me tomorrow with these two solid beats.

Cheers!

No comments: