Thursday, July 04, 2013

Happy Independence Day!

Wow, with Egypt having their second coup in past two+ years, it makes you appreciate a bit more living in the gold old US of A.  I know we are a bit dysfunctional as a country politically, but at least we settle our differences with just mud-slinging and gridlock.

As the summer starts to peak, I have begun riding my bike to work.  It is wonderful as here in the Farmington River Valley we have a great network of bike trails (Farmington Canal Heritage Trail).  I can ride my bike to work, about 11 miles, and have just a single stop light. Nine of the miles are along the bike trail, which is safe, scenic, relatively flat and nicely shaded.

My portfolios definitely had a bit of a set back so far this week. Set back is a bit strong, I am up 26 basis points while R3K is up a percent.  My moves of late have not worked so well.  Selling ABR and switching 100% to CIM has been sub-optimal.  And my recent additions of INTC and FCX have been dragging a bit.

I did make a couple modest transactions this week.  I sold my HILL at $2.16.  I can not give you a good reason why I bought them, which is a good reason to sell.  I did actually make a bit on the trade (bought at 2.07 a month ago.  Then I added a few shares to my STO holding with all the Eygpt excitement.  I bought it for $20.60, which seems outlandishly cheap. I will likely sell my PGR next week, as it will hit the one year anniversary and seems fully valued to me. I am sitting with about 22% in cash.

If I get a chance today, I will continue my review of potential stocks for August MFI tranche.

No comments: