Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Up Day For A Change

Solid Day

Up 44 basis points today, which at the end is about a 100 basis point beating of the Russell 3K. First  time I have had a big win in a while, and it feels good.  GTAT and TSL were the big winners. But also TIME (Time Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2014 Results) and WNR (Western Refining Announces Second Quarter 2014 Results) were up on decent earnings this morning.

Earnings Continue After The Bell

ATVI (Activision Blizzard Announces Better-Than-Expected Second Quarter 2014 Financial Results) and TC (Thompson Creek Metals Company Reports Increase in Second Quarter 2014 Operating Income of 233% and Positive Net Cash ) announced after the bell this evening.

Both sets of earnings seemed very good to me and both companies are up nicely this evening.  I do have to say that I really, really laughed at the headline for ATVI. That is from their own press release.  "Better Than Expected", what does that even mean? Better than they expected? Better than Wall Street expected? Better than I expected?  I thought it was strange.

Transaction

I did buy TNH today to add to my dividend portfolio. They yield a bit over 8% and rank in my top 20 on my most recent MFI table (MFI DiaryTop 200 List).

No comments: