Thursday, May 01, 2014

Got To Admire That

Well, my favorite stock, GTAT announced a series of initiatives for their Hyperion technology. I am not a scientist, but the initiatives sure sounded impressive. Long story, short, they appear to be actively finding/searching for applications of their technology that allows them to cut things very thinly. Anyone want a very thin slice of toast?

S they up up nicely today, driving my third straight day this week of very good results. I like GTAT so much, sometimes I wonder why I did not put absolutely everything into their stock. It almost feels that way, as they are 12.5% of my actively trading total worth.

FLR announces earnings this evening. That should be a snapshot on the state of the economy, as large construction projects should be reflective of economic confidence. JEC (a competitor) had not so good earnings the other day. I have not looked at the other big names, CBI, KBR and FWLT.

GNW has chimed in with a second straight strong day post their earnings. They have also been a terrific long term hold for me.

One stock I really regret selling is SLCA. My thesis on them last year was exactly right - they would be big time beneficiaries of the fracking boom - a classic selling the mining supplies to the gold rush miners story.  But I settled for outsized short term gains. I bought 3,000 shares (with my multiplier) on June 3rd last year at $20.29. I then sold 3 short month later at 23.05, rubbing my hands happily over an 11% gain in 3 month.  Today they are $46.53.  Yu do the math, but that is (with multiplier) about 70,000 I missed out on.  The moral is that if you have a good idea, do not settle for a small gain. Sure, some of your good ideas may falter - but, if you have thought things through well, the gains in aggregate should be very satisfactory.

2 comments:

Paul T said...

Word of caution: Never fall in love with a stock.

Marsh_Gerda said...

Very good advice.