Monday, March 03, 2014

Actually Thinking About Adding To My GTAT

As my readers know, I sold 1/3 of my GTAT (shares I had bought post their secondary at about $9.00) on February 10th at $11.15. It was a nice and quick profit (unfortunately short term taxes).  The idea was that I was overweight GTAT. So it was a risk management tool.

Since then, GTAT has moved north of $14  - in part due to a recent earnings release that had them hinting of some pretty big things happening. I am starting to have sellers remorse (keep in mind that GTAT is 8.2% of my actively traded portfolio that I discuss here, but is only about 2% of my overall investments (including 401ks, spouses IRA, college funds etc).

I am not sure what I am going to do, but if GTAT drops into the mid 13s over the next month, I may just buy some shares and (implicitly) admit I should not have sold the shares in February.  There are a couple keys to successful investing. One is to manage your risk, not too many eggs in one basket. But another is to invest in your best ideas.  Obviously, those two keys can be in conflict - so one needs to find the right balance.  I used to say I felt GTAT could go to $20 in a year or two. I now feel that number is closer to $30. So in my view, I have a stock that could double in the next two years. Right now, I do not have many of those (like none).

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

GTAT has an EY of -5% and ROIC of -39%. Not really a mfi stock eh? :)