Wednesday, March 19, 2014

активный день (Active Day)

активный день (Active Day)

I had mentioned over on Ed's Talking Stock a couple of days ago that I was keeping an eye on CTCM, a Russian media stock.  This is an interesting stock that has scored high on my MFI screens.  It was #28 back at the end of February at $10.56 a share.  I bought them for $9.13.  They pay a 70 cent dividend (just went x dividend a couple of days ago -17.5 cents).  So I have added to my dividend portfolio. If they fall further, I may add to my position.

Then I sold (gasp) my INTC.  I first bought them in September 2010.  While they have not been a bad stock, they really have not been a good stock either.  The final score for them was up about 18% (I bought in 8 tranches - they were my #6 holding); while the R3K was up about 35% in same stretch.  Not so great.

Finally, I did increase my holdings in LMNS by 25% at $12.01.  It was opportune timing as the stock then apruptly went up to $12.50.  LMNS is actually now my #2 holding behind GTAT (ahead of GNW); so it is an out-sized holding for me.  My plan is for this not to be a long-term holding.

It was a great day for me (on a relative basis).  I was up 50 basis points (really helped by GTAT, GNW and LMNS) while the R3K was down 70 basis points.  That is a skunk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Marshall,

Did MET rise today on Yellens comments about rates going up? That was your thesis on insurance stocks performing well going forward wasn't it?

Thanks

Marsh_Gerda said...

yes - clear as day, just after 2pm. That was one of my points, is that higher rates are beneficial in long run for life insurers as the majority of income for them comes from investing in fixed income.