Friday, January 31, 2014

TGONF on TGIF

No, I do not have dyslexia.  But on a down Friday, I was actually up. One big reason was the quietest stock in my entire portfolio TGONF. As those of you who memorize my blog may recall, this is a Dutch financial firm that is trading well beneath book value.  It is very lightly traded on pink sheets, so lightly traded that I may never be able to sell my shares!  I actually have a relatively sizable position for such an esoteric stock. It is my 11th largest holding, yet a rarely mention it here. They wee supposed to have a report out today, but I can not find it. I suspect that is the reason for the 6% pop.

I did sell my TWM (inverse, leveraged ETF of Russell 2000) this morning. I actually had relatively good timing and got $50.72 (though it got as high as $51.35). So I made 1/2 a percent, but as it was ten percent of my total portfolio, it was still a material gain. Why did I sell it?  It made me too nervous to have that much in a leveraged position. My track record on being short something is pretty mediocre. Even though I kept telling myself it was a form of insurance, I still bit my fingernails at every swing in price.

Today was an extremely weird day. Markets opened up way down, then battle back and then fell down a bit. My portfolio performed very well, I was actually up nicely. The TWM and TGONF gains helped. But GTAT also did well, up 1.5% on news that Morgan Stanley is accumulating a position.

I also got to book three dividends today. TC-PT was the big one, with smaller monthly divvies from O and OIBAX.

No comments: