Thursday, January 30, 2014

At Least It Is Warm

I am in not so sunny Bermuda today.  While it is a bit humid and periods of showers, it is at least warm (about 70). 2014 continues to be a struggle. I am doing ok on a relative basis - beating R3K by 1.13%, but it is hard to get excited about being down 2.6% thus far.

Investing is probably 75% mental.  Not to get too excited when markets are rising sharply and not to get too bummed when markets are falling.  That is why many stock advisers say to use dollar cost averaging. That way you take your emotions out of the equation.

One thing I hate about owning TC-PT is there is so little information on them. I know they go x-dividend right around now, but not sure of the exact date.  All I know is that the dividend gets paid on February 15th.  I sent a note to their IR department, but apparently no one is home.

Just two trading days left on my February portfolio from 2013. It has definitely shed some gains - it was up about 92 or 93% at one point.  Now it is "just" up 76.7% (the benchmark is up 20.4% in that stretch).  Friday's closing pricing are what i will use to finalize that tranche for record keeping.  I will likely not sell the shares until Tuesday, just to make extra sure I get the LT capital gains rate.  And I will buy the new tranche around noon on Monday. There is a decent chance I will carry AAPL over, though I will need to add some shares to make sure it is 1/5 of total.

I was very tempted yesterday to sell 1/3 of my GTAT when they were a bit over $10.  It is an out-sized holding for me. As you may recall, I bought that 1/3 in early December when they had the secondary offering.  The average basis for me is about $8.80.  But I did not sell as I believe in the GTAT story.  It will be a bumpy ride though.


No comments: