Wednesday, June 10, 2009

V(aroo)M

Always nice to get instant gratification. I bought VM over the past few days and today it zipped up almost 10%. I think the move was due to their announcement today about a new product roll-out that sounds intriguing to me (Virgin Mobile USA to Introduce Broadband2Go -- 3G Nationwide Wireless Internet Access With No Annual Contract).

Another strong day, up again over 1% as TC was up 7%, VM 9%, FSUMF 15% and WH up 8%. So we're now about 12% underwater after 3+ years at MFI.

Here is how my current holdings are doing:

TC 217%
CKSW 143%
FSUMF 106%
ICO 62%
CDII 58%
CSKI 48%
UTA 40%
WH 31%
WILC 30%
CHCG 29%
RNR-C 26%
ENH-A 24%
CMED 21%
QXM 16%
UEPS 8%
VM 7%
PFE -3%
HCKT -6%
KHD -53%

I know RNR-C and ENH-A are in no way MFI stocks and as I get back to being fully invested, I will remove them. Recall that I am still about 10% in cash, so I really need to buy about 6 to 8 positions to round out my portfolio and be 100% MFI again.

It was interesting, not sure if people follow the comments but a post was made that I should look at the Value Investor Club. I did read some ideas there this morning. One specifically caught my eye, it was about what a great deal ENH-A was and mentioned that RNR-C and ARH-A were also terrific deals. That struck me as odd as I had said close to the same thing here quite a few months ago. They are very lightly traded preferred stocks. Just for interest, I am going to cross-reference when those posts were made in VIC with when I posted them here... I'd hate to think I am being plaguerized. (note, I went back and checked and I posted about those stocks on March 31st and they were in VIC on March 26th... so he probably thinks I poached from him! But now that I think about it, we probably both poached from the same source, I believe Jim Jubak wrote an article recommending BER-C, the preferred stock for WR Berkely in early March, and that was the genesis of my research into insurance company preferred stocks and perhaps the VIC person as well).

I do think I will try and write an "idea" for VIC. We'll see if they like it. I'll write it on insurance as that is the industry I work in and know the best.

No comments: