Friday, June 05, 2009

New Stocks this Week

Another up week for my MFI portfolio. Overall up 7.6%. Some quick metrics,
  • up 57% since January 1st.
  • Up 122% from my low in November
  • 14% above the benchmark
  • and perhaps most interestingly down only about 13.5% from breakeven.
Today I was helped out greatly by FSUMF, which was up 18% based upon iron ore negotiations in Australia (Rio Tinto Spurns Chinalco for BHP). The interesting thing about FSUMF is that even though I am up about 100% and the stock is at $2.80, Jim Jubak is on record saying it could go to $5 (though he also said there was risk of bankruptcy).

"When I updated this stock Oct. 21, I wrote, "This stock remains what it has been since I added it to Jubak's Picks last November -- a highly risky bet with a very high potential return." That's still true. The upside on this stock is still, I calculate, $5 a share by December 2009. The downside is $0."

Not for the faint of heart. But with what is going on today, I think the $5 is more likely than $0, and investors seem to be agreeing.

I also had CHCG jump about 10% today. No real clue on why it jumped, but I do think the market is waking up to the fact that the Chinese consumer is not as hurt as the American consumer.

"I’m keeping a close eye on China’s consumers, counsels Tim Seymour, they seem to be in much better shape than their American counterparts."

That quote was from Fast Money earlier this week.

I did buy three new stocks this week: UTA, VM and PFE. UTA was a new stock at the start of the week in my mechanical portfolio so I added it on Monday. It shot up a quick 25% this week. Then VM (Virgin Mobile) had stellar earnings in May, a strong outlook at was new to the top 50 list this week. Finally, I added PFE as I felt I am getting too non-US centric and more importantly David Einhorn is a buyer.

Ticker Company # of Guru Holders (?)# of Insider Buys
(3 Months)
Industry Shares Value ($1000) 2009-03-31 ">% Weighting as of
2009-03-31
from Last Period">Share # Change
from Last Period
PFE Pfizer Inc15 None Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology5,930,00080,7673.4%New


Finally, here is the chart du jour, UTA exploded up on extremely heavy volume.

Basic ChartGet Basic Chart(s) for:


Universal Travel Group (ASQ) Edit
Range:1d 5d 3m 6m 1y 2y 5y Type:Bar | Line | CandleScale:Linear | LogSize:M | L
Compare:UTA vs S&P Nasdaq Dow
Want more control over the chart? Try our Interactive Chart.
Chart for Universal Travel Group (UTA)

Splits:31-Mar-09 [1:3]
Last Trade:9.95
Trade Time:4:00PM ET
Change:Up 1.76 (21.49%)
Prev Close:8.19
Open:8.40
Bid:10.05 x 800
Ask:10.25 x 200
1y Target Est:7.00
Day's Range:8.25 - 9.97
52wk Range:0.97 - 8.45
Volume:390,980
Avg Vol (3m):36,820
Market Cap:138.04M
P/E (ttm):8.36
EPS (ttm):1.19
Div & Yield:N/A (N/A)

No comments: