Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Taking Stock of My Stocks - Part 3

Taking Stock of My Stocks

I have run my faithful readers this Christmas break through my twenty largest holdings. Now let us look at the best and see if I saved the best for last.  One thing I think about at times is how many stocks/securities should I own?  I feel best having between 20 and 30 that I have picked and then my MFI portfolio, which would top out at 20 after it is mature. I do have some intersections, as I own Apple and Microsoft both in my MFI portfolios and my dividend portfolio.

Here are my holdings:

Index Stock Shares
1 AAPL 187
2 CSCO 4,292
3 JPM 1,673
4 GNW 10,000
5 glre 2,500
6 CSQ 5,444
7 SDS 1,000
8 SAI 4,680
9 HFC 1,117
10 KMF 1,845
11 VIVHY 2,296
12 MSFT 1,640
13 PGR 2,092
14 PRE 536
15 PVD 427
16 INTC 1,974
17 JQC 4,192
18 SD 6,000
19 FCX 1,100
20 MPC 582
21 BHK 2,240
22 SLCA 2,060
23 FSC 2,802
24 OIBAX 3,925
25 STO 1,040
26 NSU 5,524
27 KFY 1,436
28 O 556
29 ABC 500
30 VIAB 405
31 WU 1,570
32 LPS 840
33 DLB 580
34 uis 1,001

BHK - This is another of my closed end funds. These have all worked out very very well.  At some time, I need to go through closed end funds again and see if there are any standout buys.  BHK is pretty fairly valued, trading at a minimal discount.  It is mostly bonds, such as corporate investment grade.  It pays monthly dividends and has a 5.7% yield. You know, you are not going to get rich with a holding like BHK but I do think all portfolios need some relatively safe core holdings like this.  I did buy them at a very good price in 2011 when this stuff was a bit out of favor, so I am actually up 29%.  But if Treasury yields start going back up, I could give a lot of that back. 

SLCA - this is a company that is a play on the natural gas and oil boom going on in the states (a bit like the refiners and pipeline plays).  They are a pure play on silica, which is in demand for fracturing natural gas. They are not as "cheap" as many of my stocks (earning yield around 10%), but I like their growth opportunities.

FSC - This is a finance company that steps in when businesses can not get traditional financing from banks.  As credit is very tight right now, they have quite a few opportunities.  As banks start to lend more and more down the road, FSC will likely be forced to lend to businesses with lower credit quality.  They pay a monthly dividend and yield a rich 11%.  There is risk in this stock in that if we hit another downturn, there could be defaults on loans above expectations. So FSC needs the economy to walk a fine line, where things are not great nor terrible. They have been a solid performer for my, up 13+% since I bought in the spring.

OIBAX - this is an Oppenheimer Intl Bond Fund.  It yields about 5%.  I have owned them for about a decade, and while unexciting, they are relatively safe.

STO - this is Norwegian Statoil.  I originally wanted them as they have a safe source of oil in the event the Middle East heats up (i.e. Israel and Iran).  They still seem relatively cheap to me and they have a lot of expertise in drilling near the Artic. They pay a 4% annual dividend.  They have been a so-so performer for me, but I will hold for the same reasons I bought them.

NSU - the first of my Magic Formula stocks.  They are a small miner, with a single mine.  They have no debt and quite a bit of cash and they pay a decent dividend.  So really it all depends on how the single mine does.  Not a stock for the faint-hearted, but in my mind a decent risk/reward profile.

KFY - This is my 2nd MFI stock. Korn and Ferry are on of the premier executive recruiting agencies.  These types of companies are a play on unemployment improving.  Again, I like the risk/reward trade-off, but like NSU, these MFI stocks do have downside risk potential.

O - I have owned this stock for a long time and my only regret is that I did not buy a bunch more back in 2001!  So even though they have more than doubled for me, they are still pretty far down my list.  This is a REIT for commercial properties.  I was always worried about the commercial real estate market crashing like personal real estate, but it has held up well.  They pay a monthly dividend and are a poster child for the power of just reinvesting dividends in a good company. They are up 179% for me, while the broader market is up 68%

ABC, VIAB, WU, LPS, DLB and UIS are all MFI stocks.  ABC is drug distribution company. VIAB is Viacom and brings us entertainment content like MTV and Cartoon network. WU is Western Union, which seems old-fashioned, but to me solid. LPS is a company that services mortgages and got in a lot of trouble post the Financial Crisis. Bu I think that is behind them and if housing picks up they could benefit.  DLB is dolby, which all audiophiles know.  They seem pretty cheap to me and have a strong balance sheet that just allowed a $4 dividend without blinking. Finally, UIS is Unisys.  The more I look at them, the less I like them.  But MFI says hold for a year, so hold for a year I shall

I think that is it. I am sure my portfolio is not perfect. But it seems to work pretty well for me.  My watch list includes WBK, LNC, LXFR, SBS, PM, DELL and KSS.  I have buy orders for all those stocks at prices 5 to 15% below where they stand today.




No comments: