Friday, December 28, 2012

Cliff Notes

Cliff Notes - Dec 28th 2012

Wow,  can people believe the representatives we elected?  All I see is positioning by the parties so they will not get blamed when we go over the cliff.  I see no real progress. I see no compromise, even though Simpson-Bowles printed the road map two years ago when asked by leaders of both parties to do that.  I try not to get political on my blog, but this isn't even about the election, it is about doing what is best for the long term health of our country.

And then the stock market is stunning as well.  Did people see the Rick Santelli rant yesterday (Santelli Goes On Mega Rant)?  I usually think he goes too far, but for some reason, this one struck a chord with me.  I have heard ZeroHedge state "that the market is pricing in the fiscal cliff being averted and the market doesn't realize it must crash for that to happen."

Our country is broken and needs to be fixed.  And all we get is1 peacocking from Washington politicians. And then I read someone say that the problem with our economy in the inequality of income.  I do not think that is the ultimate cause.  Why do we have inequality of income? That is the real question.  Do people think this might be a partial cause?

Education Week: U.S. Graduation Rate Continues Decline

Think about that. In our 50 largest cities, only 53% of children graduate from high school!  That is frightening. What hope can these kids have regarding the American dream?  Don't get me wrong, I am very moderate politically and socially quite liberal.

While the "fiscal cliff" looms, there is a much bigger problem. We are going broke as a country.  Tim Geithner just said we are about to hit the debt ceiling (U.S. will hit debt limit on Dec. 31, Treasury Department says).  Unless the politicians actually do SOMETHING, that isn't going to change.

Ok, I guess I have had my rant.  Next time, I should probably not post until I have had my coffee.

No comments: