Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Timber..... (Land)

One thing about MFI is that it insists that you hold the stocks for a year. I don't know whether that is the "right" amount of time, but it does keep me from panicking. TBL is a great example (as is DLX). TBL got as low as $24.80 back in July. Today they announced that they will explore a sale of the company (Timberland considering plan to sell itself: report). The stock is up 5% early today at $32.72. That is a big recovery from $25.

"There You Go Again!" - Seasoned readers will remember that quote from Ronald Reagan. ORCT is at it again, up another 38 cents this a.m. on stronger than average volume. Not sure what is driving it, either rumors or some accumulation by institutions.

ANF reports their earnings this evening after the market closes. Yes, I am nervous.

It is the end f the day. It was a monster day fo my MFI portfolio, up 1.77% compared to the IWV +0.77%. While traveling, I can't run my normal charts as I don't like to log onto my brokerage account anywhere but home... but I think I am only about 5K behind the benchmark now.

Stock News

OVTI has takeover rumors (OmniVision up on takeover speculation).
ORCT ended up 11.7%. I am now down just 2% on a stock that used to be down over 40%.
ANF had their earnings (Abercrombie & Fitch posts higher quarterly profit, sales). The stock is down about 4.5% after hours. I will dissect the numbers later but on the surface they look good.
  • $1.11 eps vs $0.79 last year.
  • Same store sales up 5%.
  • For the year they forecast $4.59 to $4.65 eps.
If you believe they should trade at 20x trailing earnings (not unreasonable considering that they are still growing earnings and revenue nicely) that would imply a stock price north of $90.

My purchase of CLE last week in my sidecar is looking savvy so far as it is up 6% already. The TRLG sidecar purchase looks less savvy as it has down about 5%.

No comments: