Saturday, November 25, 2006

No News is Good News?

Light news week as everyone was focused on family & turkey. I know I ate my fair share and then some! According to this article, shoppers were out in force on Friday (Black Friday Is Golden for Retailers) . I generally give these types of articles as much credence as analyst upgrades & downgrades. Not very much. I think it was last year some article said the 3 days after Thanksgiving had sales up about 20%. I think they must've made a slight calculation error.

Hey pretty good memory. Using "the google" I found an article about last year's first weekend:
U.S. Retailers Post $27.8 Billion in Weekend Sales (Update1)

By Cotten Timberlake and Shobhana Chandra

Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. retailers recorded sales of $27.8 billion over the holiday weekend, putting the industry on track for its second-biggest selling season since 1999, said the National Retail Federation.

Total sales including online rose 22 percent from a year earlier, spurred by discounts and demand for electronics, the NRF said in a statement yesterday. Discounters including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which offered $398 laptop computers, attracted the most shoppers, according to survey of more than 4,000 consumers by the Washington-based trade group.

Enough on that. PNCL has firmly moved into my #1 slot, now up 50%. This shows that when you go into MFI, you need to check your biases at the door. Many people said they would not buy airline stocks as they are "poor businesses". Oh well, I know I have had my own biases, I will try and be open-minded. Have a good one!

No comments: