Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Head ahead

Just another day in the marathon that is MFI investing. Portfolio was up a scant 0.15%. ELX, ASEI & VPHM were my best stocks. ELX has quietly gone up 15% since I bought them. OVTI was my big loser, down about 3.5%. They report earnings on Thursday and I guess analysts are getting skittish (OmniVision Slips on Pricing Concerns).

I think the most interesting thing in my portfolio today was an announcement by HW that pretty much went unnoticed, a collective "ho-hum" by Mr Market. They announced a new and better way to refine heavy crude oil (Headwaters Rolls Out New Refining Idea). As one might expect, there is a lot more heavy crude oil around than the good stuff (light sweet crude oil. To me this seems to be a big deal for a company under $1b in market cap.

Now perhaps this is really "old" news and the market has already priced this new technology in... but to be honest I don't see how as the stock isn't exactly selling at a premium. Anyway, I am going to do a little digging tonight and will likely more than double my HW holdings tomorrow. Not sure if HW is still tecnically on the MFI lists, so that will determine whether it is a side car holding. For the record HW closed at $23.23 today, up 19 cents.

No comments: