Friday, August 04, 2006

Risk: The Game of Global Domination

Man, it s depressing watching the news. Sometimes I believe we're spiraling towards WWIII and it will be a religious war. I am not even sure which is more depressing, the Israeli-Lebannon affair or the possibility that Iraq will break into a civil war when we withdraw. I have some strong political views, but that is not for this MFI blog.

Today (as CNBC tells us) is all about: Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. I do think we're going to get one final rate hike next week and then the long-awaited pause. That will be okay as long as the market knows that is what is going to happen. Just simple logic tells me that inflation is going to be a problem during the next decade. There just are not enough commodities to go around as super humongous countries like China and India gear up. Here is a trvia question: How many people are in those two countries vs USA & Europe?

USA = ~300m
Europe = 750m
India = ~1,030m
China = ~1,306m

And that Europe # contains over 200m for Russia & Ukraine which are also ramping up. They will be needing a lot of energy, steel, copper, coal etcetera, etcetera, etcetera (to paraphrase the King of Siam).

Well, it is Sunday... been too busy to update the blog. True Religion had a good Friday (yuck, yuck, yuck). All-in-all, my Friday wasn't so good, but oh well.

Everyone is down on the US Economy, but I am telling you that things are hopping in South Texas. We went to Seaworld in San Antonio yesterday and it was easily the most crowded I have ever seen a theme park. People don't seem to be feeling too poor to me. And our hotel (the Westin) was over-booked, so they had to move us to a second area. Things are booming here, perhaps it is all the oil money, I don't know.

It does look like some positive news comong out of the Israeli-Lebannon scuffle, I figured it would stop soon (if it didn't blow up) as the US was clearly twiddling our thumbs as long as we could.

FTO reportes earnings tomorrow and we have a FOMC coming up.

Adios from San Antonio.

No comments: