Saturday, August 19, 2006

My Better Half

The only thing that has kept me from committing Hari-Kari over my MFI portfolio (not that bad at -5.5%) has been the fact that I am up about 9% YTD overall on my managed portfolio. That can only mean one thing: the non-MFI component of my portfolio has done much better than the MFI component. Part of it is timing, The market did much better through May 10th than post May 10th and the first 5 months I was much more weighted towards non-MFI as I made my 1st purchase February 24th. But part has been some good stock selection as well. I do place "larger bets" in this portfolio than MFI.

Here are my non-MFI stocks:

AXS - Bermudian P&C Insurance company.
CB - US P&C company.
CNX - a coal company.
EN - an Italian utility.
IBN - Indian Bank.
LPMA - Israeli Electronic $ company. Due to merge with PAY in October at $29. For some odd reason the stock price is $25.23 .
OMG - a metal refining company.
OXY - Oil & Gas play recommended by Cramer almost a year ago.
PFACP - per Thomas Ko.
PVD - a Chilean Pension Fund Company.
SBS - a Brazilean water comapny.
STP - a Chinese Solar company.
WB - National Bank.

Stock Cost Current Gain
AXS $26.29 $31.52 19.9%
CB $47.35 $49.15 6.2%
CNX $31.39 $39.26 25.1%
EN $41.17 $45.04 20.9%
IBN $23.30 $27.31 17.3%
LPMA $22.50 $25.23 12.1%
OMG $12.95 $38.32 196.5%
OXY $35.80 $52.42 46.4%
PFACP $7.00 $5.19 -23.4%
PVD $23.50 $24.89 5.9%
SBS $19.30 $26.97 42.8%
STP $29.03 $30.48 5.0%
WB $50.10 $55.71 11.4%

These figures exclude dividends, which are substantial for some of these companies.

Note the large international and insurance/banking/financial theme. Counter MFI. I do wonder if it is not coincidental that my non MFI has outperformed MFI AND IWV has out-performed MFI. It could largely be the financial sectors that are driving the outperformances.

4 comments:

Erik Hochstein said...

Hi JUSTADRONE --

I like your blog -- I am posting on the MFi Yahoo group under "defender" . That's how I found your blog. Very interesting to see somebody using the MFI formula and going through many of the same issues.

I had also started a blog - but I am not as good as you are in updating

http://realmagicformulatest.blogspot.com/

Amyway - how did you pick your international companies ???

Marsh_Gerda said...

Hey Swimmer, I will check out your blog. I pick my international stocks from the Vivian Lewis newsletter.

jamie said...

hi justadrone,
thanks for checking out my blog. i like what you've got to say in yours. i checked out the LPMA merger that you mentioned in this entry. isn't it strange that it's trading so low relative to the premium? i'm a little new at this, but JG's 'other' book has me looking out for mergers.

jamie.

Marsh_Gerda said...

I read How to be a Stock Market Genius as well. All I can believe is that the market is discounting whether the merger will occur. PAY was around $30 when the merger was announced and is now about $22, though I think they're doing fine... high tech stocks are simply out of favor. The great play would have been to short PAY and be long on LPMA (as discussed by JG) when the merger was announced, you would have done very well. I do believe that LPMA at this price is attactive risk reward, but I have too many $ sunk into LPMA at this time.