Monday, July 24, 2006

Whitewater Rafting

I went whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River this weekend. I had never tried it before. We put the raft in the water and immediately went into a class IV rapid. It was exhilerating! If you haven't ever tried it, I highly recommend it. Just $34 for 3 hours of great fun. We used Quest expeditions (Quest Expeditions). Note: I am not in the picture on the left, though I was certainly in that situation.

My MFI portfolio has been in whitewater of late as well. It was an absolute disaster on Friday. I had mentioned on Thursday that the earnings by TGIS didn't seem all that hot despite their spin. Well, the market must have agreed as it got soaked, down 15 to 20%. So it has gone from being +50% just a few short weeks ago to under (ahem) water (get the theme?) now. But you know what? The earnings were not that bad. They had a bunch of positive items (including revenues up 33%) and at $10.25 TGIS is a steal.

I have to confess that this MFI approach has been taxing. Without it, I would have sold many of these stocks during the past few months, I hope the approach begins to pay dividends soon. Well, technically it has been paying dividends all along, but you know what I mean.

Going on the Ocoee River was good for me and my morale though. We did make it to the end of the whitewater eventually and with a successful conclusion. I still believe the same about my MFI portfolio. The things I learned going through the whitewater is you don't want to abandon the raft when going through the rocks. Understand?

Have a great one!

No comments: