Sunday, January 08, 2012

RIMG Update

I did do a little more research on RIMG. They just made a significant acquistion, buying a firm called Qumu. The total cost was about $50m. That is for a firm with about $15m in annual revenues and they were silent about profit. That seems really expensive to me. I always worry when the purchase price is a function of revenues rather than EBIDTA. So I will be taking a pass on them.

I will still be selling AXS, and will put some $ into FCX and RTN. But I will keep some powder dry as I consider the next big thing to buy.

3 comments:

AndrewsDad said...

I was part of an offer to buy part of a company that was based on revenue and the accountant for one of the sides of the deal said it is common for the purchase price to be 3-5 times revenue. I too struggled with not using profit but there were a number of reasons given way to involved to go into detail here. Bottom line, I would not be as concerned about it. I just find it shocking that after a 2 minute look at the Yahoo numbers, RIMG is a $12 stock, making a profit with $11 a share cash on hand, no debt and a significant dividend.

What am I missing?

Marsh_Gerda said...

Good question. They no longer have that much in cash as they spent about $50m buying the smaller company in Nov. But they still have about $6 a share in cash.

AndrewsDad said...

I figured that cash number might be pre purchase. Did not have the time to research it any further. Hoping to do so soon at some point. Thanks.