Monday, July 23, 2007

Ugly Day

Pretty humbling day. I have stated several times here that I was bullish on TGIS. Well, it was shot down today (Thomas Group Announces Second Quarter 2007 Results). Down a brutal 18.3%. I tried to listen to the cc this evening, but have had technical problems. The bad news is that my MFI portfolio, even excluding the TGIS meltdown, was in the red on a green day.

So all-in-all I was down about 0.8%, losing over 1% to the Russell 3000. Blech.

I did add MEOH to my portfolio today. Not an exciting stock, but their revenues have really been increasing pretty strongly. They make manufacture chemicals, maybe a little like PONR for me last year.


Q1 2007
03/31/07
Q4 2006
12/31/06
Q3 2006
09/30/06
Q2 2006
06/30/06
Q1 2006
03/31/06
Total Revenue 673.932 668.159 519.586 460.915 459.590


The other humbling stock today (in a good way) was VALU. I stated I thought their earnings on Friday were ho-hum. Up about 5% Y o Y. Yet the stock shot up almost 6% today. There are no analyst estimates, but I am guessing that expectations were pretty low.

I am watching the O'Reilly Factor. He is one slanted journalist, if we can use that term. He was bashing NBC news pretty hard. He made the comment that CNBC will go down the toilet as soon as Fox launches their business channel this October. I assume that means he thinks Murdoch has the WSJ sewn up. I do think there is great untapped value there, the WSJ could have been the pre-eminent financial website had they had an ounce of innovation. Maybe Murdoch and his team will take them there. But I keep thinking that VALU would be a nice addition for CNBC, YHOO, GOOG or FOX in this war on financial information that is starting.

Well, no sense crying over spilled beer. Later.

3 comments:

Travis said...

I think I might spill some beer tonite....I'm got hit for 1.5% today :( It's been a long two weeks! I appreciate your blog.

I'm confident that TGIS will come back in 11 months.

-Travis

Unknown said...

You're not alone, down 1.5% as well. I was up though the other day when the market took a hit, so it averages out. I got hit with the TGIS call today, have only had it for about a week, but also have VALU for the same amount of time so again it evens out. Nucor, AVCI, and PACR were also big losers today. Brightspot is that Accenture was up decent today and I'm overweight in that so that helped avoid complete disaster. What I've noticed is when you have opposite return days of the market, it tends to even out over a few days, the hope is that as the benchmark graphs show that the trend is the same but you have slight improvement over the benchmark over time.

kjstark said...

I've got to admit, I was persuaded by your previous comments on TGIS. I bought at 10.60 after the initial drop. As of this morning, it's drop has continued to 9.70.