Thursday, July 19, 2007

Instant Gratification (also Dow 14,000)

TGB up 9.91% Am I a market mover or was it coincidence? Well, in honesty only about 80 people read my blog yesterday, so unless they have lots of friends or lots of money, I gotta believe it was coincidence. But a happy one.

Two new stocks on my Just Listed List today, HHS and MEDW. I haven't had a chance to even look at 'em, nor do I plan to invest right now. But I'll toss them in my JL portfolio, which was down today due to NPLA and CYDS (the stock I bragged about on Monday).

I had a great day on the back of TGB, up 1.02% overall. TGB is my biggest holding with their 86% gain. Speaking of mining companies, I always scratch my head when they get penalized in a quarter because of bad weather or a fire at their mine which shut down production for 6 weeks. They still have the assets. They will mine the metals and sell them. It isn't like they lost anything (except the time value of money).

I have watched Cramer the last couple of days. He really tries. Every now and then he has a good idea but sometimes he talks out of both sides of his mouth. And then the people watching immediately bid his ideas into the stratosphere. He (unlike me) is a market mover.

Seller's Regret - while I have certainly done well in the market the past two years (overall portfolio easily beating the averages), one major regret is DRYS. This was a stock I bought at around $12 last summer, a bulk shipping company. I wrote about them in this blog about a year ago and said I was selling as I felt they were mismanaged. I made about $2 per share on the trade and felt good about it. I checked today... they are at $64!!! Aughhhh!! I also sold them because the Motely Fool really dissed them, all but said they felt management was self-dealing.

Oh well, you can't take it with you.

1 comment:

Ron said...

I sold another shipping company (GSTL) after holding for one year and missed their recent run from 40 to 60 (they were up over 15% today.) Don't feel bad, I never expected dry shippers to increase so much.

I am rethinking the one year holding period since I am in a Roth IRA. I may put a 5% stop lost on for positive stocks after one year and see if they go up more. Just something I will look into.