Thursday, May 31, 2007

Oops!

I had to laugh. I sold my OVTI a couple weeks ago, bu I still follow it. They were to announce their earnings today after the closing bell. I think some one pushed the "send" button a few minutes early!


OmniVision Reports Financial Results for Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2007
PR Newswire (Thu 3:55pm)

Note it went out at 3:55 pm! The stock quickly jumped as the news was good and then trading was suspended. Oops! I am a bit sad that I missed the17% bump today. But the stocks I bought in May are up an average of 11%, so I can't complain.

I did sell Ezenia! today. It only had 2+ weeks left and I had a sell order in that was triggered as it went up a bit today. No regrets.

It was another solid day for me. JTX announced earnings this morning (Jackson Hewitt Reports Fiscal 2007 Annual Results). I didn't think the earnings were jaw-dropping (remember, this is the quarter tax prepartion firms earn 95% of their revenues). But the market thought otherwise, JTX traded up over 10% early in the day and closed up 5%. True Religion was up 6%, on the heels of the 15% gain yesterday. There are some sad shorts out there. So I am now 0.05% behind the benchmark... call it even.

May 31st train wreck. Last year I bought a bunch of stocks right around May 31st. It was a train wreck, and I don't use the term just because RAIL was one of the stocks. Easily my worst stretch of stock picking. Here is a list of stocks I looked at that time and how they performed:


Pretty bleak in total and my picks were FDG, KG, ORCT, OVTI & RAIL. I guess I should have just bought "PU". Note I did buy ASEI, but not until September.

I did buy a replacement for KG After seeing how my 2006 May 31st stocks did, I have a little apprehension. I'll give you a hint, I went with a value stock... literally.

VALU - they have been knocked down a bit, down 10 to 15% recently despite the recent bull market. They pay a nice 2.7% dividend. I also think that with Fox looking to get into the financial reporting big time (recall bid on Dow Jones) that Value Line with its name and surely under-utilized assets may be a good match for a more progressive company. I am pleased with the stock and out look.

Funniest stock of the day: I am tracking Just Listed Stocks and AMEN hit the list today. Appropriately the company has just a single employee... though I don't think his name was God. I almost bought them to go along with True Religion!

No comments: