Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Telling Earnings

Well, I had three of my stocks report earnings today (I will note that I am writing this on the Acela Express going from Boston to NYC... the internet is not exactly speedy).
  1. UIS - a software/hardware consulting company
  2. CBI - an engineering firm
  3. RGR - a firearm manufacturer
UIS appears to be a disaster, down 20% today (Unisys Announces First-Quarter 2010 Financial Results). I have read through the press release and am not yet sure what caused the humongous drop. Obviously, not good pour moi. ** update ** I did read a little bit more, and they had a 20% decline in revenues over the past two quarters. So while YoY it looked okay, sequentially it looked bad. I am unsure whether there is seasonality in the business or whether they simply are doing less business or had some "one time revenues in 2nd half 2009. Oh well, the beauty of MFI is that I simply move forward.

CBI announced after the closing bell (CB&I Reports First Quarter 2010 Results). Hmm, 42 cents a share. They have 335m in cash and a 6.9b backlog. Their backlog a year ago was only $.9b, so that seems to be a major step in the right direction.

RGR earned 44 cents a share (Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Reports First Quarter Earnings of 44¢ Per Share). for a $15 stock, with a "bullet-proof" balance sheet (yuck-yuck), that seems pretty darned good (59m in cash and a 300m market cap with no debt). Revenues were up and backlog of orders was up sharply as well. Stock is up almost 6% this evening.

As I have been traveling, I haven't added MD or ABC to my portfolio. I will likely wait until the end of the week to see what shakes out as we could easily have some more sharp down days and new stocks tend to come on the lists in volatile times.

No comments: