Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Distributions

Sorry in advance if this post gets a little technical. I did a q&d analysis of the 167 stocks that have closed or almost closed in my monthly tracking portfolios. Before I get to it though, a couple quick comments.

I sold PGI today. Yes it is a week shy of my anniversary, but it was in my IRA so taxes were not a consideration. Also, I am on vacation all of next week. I ended up making about 45% on the trade, making it my 2nd best sold MFI stock after UST. My purchases of THO and TGB are now totally official. DLX has a week to go. I will hold for the week as it is in my brokerage account and I am up about 30%.

It was a down day in the market today. My portfolio held up pretty well. AVCI was up another 45 cents. I think it is now up about 45% for me. It has gone up so quickly that I expect it to drop quickly as well. Maybe I'll be wrong. It was "dividend day" for me. I collected on MTEX, TGIS, FDG, FTO & PDS. Over $500. I feel rich!

Now for the study.

I now basically have 4 monthly tracking portfolios that have a year under their belt. Between them I have one year results for 167 companies. I did a mini study on their results.

1. The average annual return (including dividends) was 15%.
2. The standard deviation was 34%. That seems large to me, but I have nothing to benchmark against.

Here is a distribution of gains/losses by band:

Lose 65% 1
Lose 55% 3
Lose 45% 2
Lose 35% 7
Lose 25% 11
Lose 15% 10
Lose 5% 22
Make 5% 23
Make 15% 22
Make 25% 19
Make 35% 12
Make 45% 11
Make 55% 5
Make 65% 6
Make 75% 2
Make 85% 7
Make 95% 2
Make 105% 1
Make over 110% 1

So that means (for example) that 3 of the 167 stocks lost between 50% and 60%. And seven stocks went up 80 to 90%. Stocks can appear more than once if in separate months.

I then ran what is called a monte carlo simulation against the 167 stocks, to see the distribution of expected results for a portfolio. I ran the distribution against 3 different sized portfolios: 10, 20 and 30 stocks. The table below shows my findings:


10 Stocks 20 Stocks 30 Stocks
Losing Money 7% 2% 0%
Less than 10% 31% 24% 18%
Less Than 15% 50% 51% 51%
More than 15% 50% 49% 49%
More than 20% 32% 24% 20%
More than 25% 18% 9% 5%
More than 30% 8% 2% 1%

This table shows the volatility based on size of portfolio. So if you had a 10 stock portfolio, you had a 31% chance of making under a 10% return. You also had an 18% chance of exceeding a 25% return. As you'd expect, the more stocks that you hold, the more the distribution clusters about the average of 15%. This is a big reason why I have pushed my portfolio actually a bit over 30 stocks. I don't want the volatility, but rather I'd be very happy with the average. The distributions seemed pretty "normal", meaning they are shaped like a bell curve. They were ever so slightly skewed to the left, meaning the most common result would be to do a little worse than the mean. I'll try to update in anothe 3 motnhs when I have another 150 or so stocks in the analysis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff, Marshall. I look forward to seeing updates on this in the future.

jamie said...

thanks for doing this study, marshall. the data set is much larger than my own preliminary study, and shows a much more broad, less skewed distribution. it's interesting that there's a small skew to doing worse than the mean. i interpret this (and please tell me if your interpretation is different) as meaning that the median is lower than the mean, and that a few extremely well-performing outliers act as a long tail on the distribution to increase the mean.