Monday, December 18, 2006

10.23%!?

Wow, MTEX went up over 10% today. I thought being added to an index would be worth 5 to 6% tops. But you know why it went higher?? I think it was the staggering 20% short ratio on MTEX. I didn't realize the short ratio was so high. Makes me wonder if other of my MFI stocks have a high short ratio.

Hmmm.
HW is 17%
TRLG is 46.5%!!!!
ASEI is 25%

Those appear to be my "leaders". It stuns me that 46% of TRLG would be held short. That is a lot of negative sentiment. If TRLG has good news any time soon, the stock will explode up. Do the shorts know something I don't know? The ratios are a bit dated (about a month old). It doesn't make me nervous to see the ratios, by definition MFI stocks are out of favor often.

My overall portfolio was down 0.39%. It was anything to do with energy (PTEN, FDG & FTO) that led the way down.

I did sell my EZEN position in my sidecar today at $2.05. I actually did this for tax purposes. I had my EZEN in my brokerage account, which I had tagged as part of my MFI portfolio. I had bought that at $2.84. Then I had EZEN in my IRA that I was counting as my sidecar which I bought at about $1.50. To close my "sidecar" I actually sold the EZEN in my brokerage account. That way I get the capital loss for 2006 while the gains in my sidecar will be in my IRA. In tracking for my MFI portfolio, it will not show that I have sold it, rather I transferred my holdings simply from my brokerage account to my IRA. (I also have PONR, PNCL, PGI, PACR, PTEN and TBL in my IRA as well... it was a "run" on the "P"s.)

Finally I looked at my scoring of stocks at the end of Sep as "1s, 2s and 3s". I did great. My 1s are up 15%, the 2s are up 11% and the 3s are down 5%. I will consider that the end of that round of the expirement and will place new rankings on my stocks tomorrow (if I have time) for the upcoming quarter. Enoough tests and we'll find out whether I am clueless or not. Any opinions?

No comments: