Saturday, September 16, 2006

Of Cabbages and Kings

Not a bad week. It didn't feel like a good week as I dropped on Thursday & Friday. But when I look at the week in whole, I gained 2% on breakeven and ever so slightly on IWV. The NSS buyout helped. The Ezenia blow-up hurt. My recent buys of BBSI & VPHM are helping the home team. I put in a buy order last night for ASEI (at $46.60) to be my 30th stock. It promptly went up 4.8%, so my order went unfilled. I will just wait and watch.
Not much stock news. Cramer mentioned ANF favorably in his mail bag (RealMoney Radio Mailbag). Not exactly shock and awe. HW (good old Head Wind) actually gained some ground during the week... about 10%. A large utility (TECO) announced they were going to re-start a contract with HW for synthetic fuels (Headwaters Shares Up on Customer News). And the thought is that more will follow. I didn't really understand. The article said that the synfuels were more economicaly feasible as oil prices dropped.

My results are largely driven by a few duds. If I didn't buy my worst two stocks (OVTI & EZEN), I'd be above breakeven. If I didn't buy my worst 4 (adding PTSC & HW) I'd be above IWV. I don't know how one avoids the stink bombs.

RAIL got crushed today, down over 7%. No reason that I can see, I checked out TRN and it was up. ISNS, one of more quiet stocks went up over 6%. Again, on no news that I could see. Maybe they'll be the next of my stocks to be bought on a Monday! Actually, I wonder whether any of my 3 stocks to be bought did show higher volume the Friday before they were bought?

NSS - the Friday was very normal, up 3 cents on average volume.
IVII - down 13 cents on light volume.
NCOG - down 31 cents on light volume.
I guess those secrets were well kept.


Here is weekly graph. Blue line is IWV week by week. Magenta is my MFI. Green is breakeven.

No comments: