Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Maybe I Should Find More Companies Losng $760 Million

In a bizarre turn, GNW posted a loss of $760 million last night and in pre market, Starbucks trading hour is seeing the stock edge up 12%. When they announced last night I was actually quite upset as I read their press release (initially). They seemed to be soft pedaling the numbers, saying a bunch of their book was ok (yet they still has to take a huge hit) and then stating the hit on an after tax basis (to make it seem smaller). I am scratching my head on how you do it after tax, when they will not make any income this year. I guess it will be a tax carry forward.

The stock traded down immediately from $7.80 to $6.70. Driving home, I was trying to decide what I should do. Should I sell?  Should I buy?  The key fact I looked up right before I drove home was their diluted book value per share. $21.09, down from $23.95 last year. So despite the stock dropping 49% in the past 12 months, the book value has dropped a bit more than 10%.  Perhaps that is an opportunity?

So my thought driving home was to double my shares if it sold off sharply this morning. I thought there was a fair chance of a downgrade and a fair chance that GNW puts itself up for sale. But will a book value north of $20, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that a final sale price would be above $10. If you could buy shares at $7, that is a 42% gain.  However, I see the stock is up this morning, so either my analysis was done by others as well, or else there is something else I don't understand.

Then in other good news, it appears that Citigroup has upgraded NUS to a buy. This has been a great buy for me, already up 26% and will likely pop a few percentage points today. NUS has actually climbed my list to be my 4th best stock (in terms of $ gain) ever (recall I owned it for a double in Feb 2013 MFI tranche). Of course it should be noted that GTAT and GNW also at one point were in my top four, so it can be fleeting.


No comments: