Friday, April 19, 2013

Greetings from NY

I am in the big apple today. Enjoying a Leo's Bagel and a nice cup of coffee. You may love New York, or hate it, but there is some very good food here.

I am watching coverage of the Boston Marathon man hunt. It is like a movie. I feel like the suspect is watching the news, and that may help him know what to do next.

I took a quick look at my portfolio yesterday, I am down 5% on the week. Not fun, but after 30+ years of investing, I have learned to roll with the punches a bit. There is no money I need tomorrow. I have cash to invest should it drop further. I am getting a healthy dividend stream. Does it really matter that the market thinks my stocks are worth five percent less this week?  It like my new car. Maybe last week, I could have sold it for 40,000 - now this week, the best I could get is 37,000. Have I really lost 3,000? Only if I am looking to sell my car. The market goes nuts from time to time.

Interestingly, yesterday was a blow out positive day for the MFI index. The fifty stocks in aggregate were up over 3/4 of a percent. ESI and TZOO were both up about fifteen percent. I am actually thinking about my May MFI tranche, and I am seriously considering a for profit education stock (probably APOL or BPI). They have gone down SO much, some of them have great balance sheets and are still making decent money.

No comments: