Thursday, September 06, 2007

That's Great Boopsie!

It was nice to get some good news. You never quite know what to expect when the trading of a stock is suspended (Market Regulation Services - Trading Halt - Taseko Mines Ltd.). That happened at 12:08. When trading resumed, the stock spiked up as they had a happy announcement (Taseko Adds 128 Million Tons to Gibraltar Mineral Reserves). Here is the graph from the Canadian Stock Market (a little more dramatic):



I was trying to figure out exactly what 128 million tons means. I am a bit lazy right now, here is what the CEO said:

Russell Hallbauer, President and CEO of Taseko, commented, "These new mineral reserves plus the more than 500 million tons of measured and indicated resources, in combination with the nearly complete mill expansion, puts Taseko at the forefront of Canadian mining companies." Mr. Hallbauer continued, "The reserves and resources at Gibraltar and the one billion tonnes of reserves and resources at the Company's Prosperity Gold-Copper Project1 contain 11.0 billion pounds of copper, all located in the mining-friendly jurisdiction of British Columbia, creating vast opportunities for the Company and setting Taseko apart from its peers."

As long as copper prices stay high, the future of TGB is rosy. I gotta think bigger operations have to be thinking takeover. Think of it this way, this find caused the stock to spike 13%, but it added about 25% to the proven reserves in Gibralter.

Not much other MFI news. AEO fell flat today despite the 9% SSS from last night. I have absolutely no understanding of the relationship between SSS and stock price.

Then I think I will sell VPHM tomorrow. The stock is down about 20% for me and the one year anniversary is next week. I am heading off on business trip this weekend, so I want to be sure to sell before then to get a ST capital loss. Then my plan will be to buy VPHM next month (if around same price) when ASEI hits one year. I will need to avoid 30 day wash rule.

Not sure what to buy. It will be from the current top 25 list. Either TZOO, MSTR, AXCA, KG or else I'll add to my GVHR
. Given my recent stock picking record, I may try Ayron's random approach.

1 comment:

AyRon said...

mg-

TZOO actually came up in my newest random tranche (purchased Friday). To show the effect of the pull of emotion, since I had such a nice gain with it last year, I was actually hoping that AEO would still be in the top 25 (it was as recently as a week ago).

Well, it wasn't. It was in the top 50 and I even considered breaking the rules and buying it. I can't even tell you how many times I want to follow a hunch or say, "Hey! I'll just buy this outside of my MFI investing!" (I don't say it out loud though...people might worry).

Nobody ever said discipline was easy.

-A

ps. my current rank in your contest, 21 of 44, shows that this method isn't exactly foolproof. However, that portfolio's loss of approx. 10% is less than my actual portfolio decline in the same period of slightly over 13%.