Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Couple of Changes

Things appear to be getting more "normal". I did make a couple of changes to my portfolio these past two days. I sold FTO. It was early, but FTO was actually a stock that I had rolled forward for a 2nd year, so it was a LT capital gain. I rationalized the sale. FTO (and all the refiners) seem to have seasonality in they drop in the non-driving season and rise in the summer. I felt $46.60 was a good price and I'll likely be able to buy them back in Dec/Jan much cheaper. I did make 35% on FTO.

Then I bought 2 stocks in the top 25: AXCA and KFY. AXCA is a pharmaceutical that seems to be blowing and going. KFY (like many companies in the staffing arena such as HSII, BBSI and GVHR) is way off its 52 week high ($27.13 and I bought at $16.74... actually virtually the 52 week low) yet KFY just had a great quarter.

I do have ASEI coming up for sale in a couple of weeks. I may buy back into VPHM or else GIB looks interesting as well. These Canadian companies have the advantage of the strong Canadian dollar as well.

Speaking of Canadian companies, my natural resource group: TGB, TCK, FDG & NXG all had big days. TGB is now up 85% for me. TCK is up 32% in about a month. There is hope.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I bought my next round of stocks yesterday too. I picked up a pharm and a staffing company as well. HSII and FRX. Both didn't seem to be beaten up as much, but I'm tired of trying to buy stocks at the bottom and watch them continue to fall.

I also bought SHOO. I liked it around 30, at 19, I think its a steal.

Good luck on your purchases.

-Travis