Friday, August 28, 2015

Shuffling The Deck Chairs - A Promise

Shuffling The Deck Chairs

Wow, what a great day here in Connecticut.  We have had three straight summer days between 75 and 80, blue skies with puffy clouds and low humidity.  It has been below 60 in the mornings. Sweet.

I am typing the blog on my new Dell XPS 13. It is better than my 4 year old  Lenovo, though that computer served me well.  I am now starting to use the Microsoft "OneDrive" cloud.  I am also moving away from I tunes - it has just never worked well with Windows for me. I am in the process of uploading everything to Amazon Music - I have about 8,000 tracks.  I was a bit dismayed to see the largest play list AM can support in the cloud is a paltry 500.  So I may still be looking for other options.

The Crazy Week


The most intense roller coaster I ever rode was the rip it, ride it, rocket it coaster in Orlando.  That is one intense ride. But it had nothing on this week.  I had already dropped a lot heading into the week and then the 1,000 point drop at the open on Monday, toss in up 300 and then whoosh, down 200 on Tuesday. Rip it, Ride it, Rock it indeed.

I actually ended up decently on the week.  I used today to revamp a little bit.  As I have said here before, I am often my own worst enemy in investing.  Recall "Step Away From The Batter" - pancakes become worse when you over stir and the same is true (for me at least) in investing.

So this week I unwound a bunch of my losing, discretionary trades. I sold UCO, TBT, BITI and half my GNW.  So my only remaining discretionary holdings are some more GNW, my CSIQ and REXI. I now promise to all my readers, no more of this helter-skelter trading.

Going Forward

Looking forward, my focus is on stocks I intend to hold for at least a year. Heck, more than my focus - that is what I'm going to do.  So soon, all I will own are (1) dividend stocks (semi permanent holdings), (2) MFI stocks (One year) and (3) warrants (hold until 2019). No more options, no more week trades or leveraged ETFs.

New MFI Micro Tranche

I did use about 1/2 the proceeds from all my sales to buy a mini MFI tranche of small/micro cap stocks to hold for a year.  I may do this twice a year.

8/28/2015 Start Current Dividend Pct Gain R3K Gain
VNCE $8.50 $9.06 $0.00 6.6% 0.2%
ONE $1.99 $1.97 $0.00 -1.0% 0.2%
TPUB $11.60 $11.80 $0.00 1.7% 0.2%
LQDT $7.26 $7.36 $0.00 1.4% 0.2%
PERI $2.45 $2.40 $0.00 -2.0% 0.2%
Totals 1.3% 0.2%


These are all "dogs of MFI" type stocks.  They are all down 50% or more from their 52 week highs. More tomorrow.

No comments: