Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Don't Rock The Boat

My portfolio continues to have extremely choppy results. A chunk of it is my fault as I took extra risk with buys like LMNS and TWOU and sold my stalwart stocks like CSCO and INTC.  Oh well, c'est la vie.

That being said, despite the missteps, all is not exactly lost. I am still up over 2% on the year, so if I had not looked at my portfolio between January 1st and tax day, I would probably be pleased. Of course I was up over 11% earlier in April.

Despite the moose going to bonds, I have not made any material changes to my portfolio. I tried to sell my TWOU, but it just kept dropping. And LMNS at under $9 is too cheap to sell (IMHO). So I trudge onwards.

I did have a profitable day trade yesterday with TZA, making 3% in under an hour on a pretty large investment, so that helped a bit. And then I did buy (with my multiplier) 4,000 more shares of GTAT at 15.10 yesterday (it was in free fall), and I am hopeful that will be a very profitable trade.

INTC had great earnings last night, I am still kicking myself for selling (and taking a tax hit) such a great company.

1 comment:

Joel said...

I'm with you on INTC; I've done nicely with that guy over the past few years. most recent buy in Dec 2012 at 21.33. I almost sold a few months ago as well but decided to hold on. I will be adding more at $22 if it drops back...

Joel