Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Careful What You Wish For

I guess I have been preparing my portfolios for a sharp downturn.  I am 35% in cash in my dividend portfolio.  I have bought a large stake in SDS (a leverages S&P short ETF).  I have tried to buy some more defensive names and move away from the high beta stocks.

But still, when the market goes down, it goes down.  I actually feel pretty good far, but it takes a steel nerved investor not to blink a bit.

Tomorrow, I will buy my 2nd MFI tranche.  Not exactly sure what I will buy, I have it whittled down to about 8 names.  You will be the 1st to know.

CSCO had great earnings, and that really softened the blow today.  Still, when I see my high dividend stocks: BHK, JQC, PVD and CSQ sell off about 4% each... that tells me people are worried about higher tax rates on dividends.  Not a rocket scientist here, but I suspect if that trend continues, it will not necessarily be favorable for my dividend portfolio.

No comments: