Friday, February 10, 2012

Small World

I have been banging the drum for GNW for a couple months here (disclosure, I own GNW). I pulled up their transcript from recent earnings call (Genworth Financial's CEO Discusses Q4 2011 Results - Earnings Call Transcript) yesterday. The CEO did his bit and then said, "now I'd like to turn it over to our CFO, Martin Klein, Marty?"

Now I am sure Marty Klein is a common name, but in my first job out of college (in 1983) I was part of a group of 6 actuaries starting at Capital Holding in Louisville, Ky. One of the other six? Marty Klein. I looked it up, and the GNW CFO is the same Marty Klein!

Small world. I did send him a note, we'll see if he responds. He was a very sharp actuary back when we worked together. I lost touch as our careers went different directions, I specialized in Property and Casualty and he specialized in Life (insurance, not the cereal).

I did sell my DD yesterday. It was up almost 20% since I bought in December. I didn't want to be greedy and I was a bit worried by this article (How to Tell if DuPont Is Hiding Weakness).

1 comment:

AndrewsDad said...

I am overdue for going through my stocks. I have a couple of winners and some losers I need to consider replacing and GNW and CJES are both on the potential buy short list. I am just concerned that neither meet the MG Minimum Dividend yield.